OP
@axman88 avatar
UTC

Stella 4T, 2011

@axman88 avatar
Stella 4T, 2011
UTC quote
Hello, I'm a new owner of a 2nd hand, 2011 built Stella 4T. This is my first scooter, but started riding motorcycles decades ago. I got interested in owning a Stella after buying a Royal Enfield Classic 500 a few years ago, and finally had the chance to acquire my Stella at a good price.

I didn't see a place on the forum specifically for introductions, so I thought this might be most appropriate. I'm not even sure that this forum is really appropriate for a guy with a Stella, but it appeared to be a large forum with an active membership, so I figured I'd give it a try.

From the little reading I've done, it seemed that perhaps the Stella is not really a "modern" Vespa, but more of a "classic", since it's very much like the P or PX Vespa? I was looking around for, but didn't find, an overview that would help me understand what is the distinction between the "modern" and non-modern Vespas. Maybe a forum member can point me in the right direction?
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50
UTC quote
Welcome from your lakeside neighbor!

I, too have been "blessed" with a secondhand 4T Stella. Her name is Tinkerhell.

They're a bit of an odd duck, but the folks around here have been very accommodating.

You have a classic Vespa with an LML 4T driveline. It's a lot like a classic Harley Davidson with a Briggs and Stratton engine.

Needless to say, I have learned a lot. I hope yours brings you much joy and less heartache than mine has me.

BTW, you have the nicer rear rack. I'm ordering one as soon as I button up some other things.

Oh, and right away, go to iheartstella.com and download the shop manual. It's under "resources".
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@axman88 avatar
UTC

Stella 4T, 2011

@axman88 avatar
Stella 4T, 2011
UTC quote
seamus26 wrote:
Welcome from your lakeside neighbor!

I, too have been "blessed" with a secondhand 4T Stella. Her name is Tinkerhell.

You have a classic Vespa with an LML 4T driveline. It's a lot like a classic Harley Davidson with a Briggs and Stratton engine.

BTW, you have the nicer rear rack. I'm ordering one as soon as I button up some other things.

Oh, and right away, go to iheartstella.com and download the shop manual. It's under "resources".
Thank you sir! The rack came with the bike. I get the impression that it was added by the previous owner, who said the Stella was tossed into a deal he made with a friend to buy a Honda Gold Wing. He said "It was for his wife", but I guess she didn't much care for it. The rear rack, the front fender trim, and the windscreen all look quite brand new, and indeed there is cosmetic damage on the right side of the bike which is underneath the fender trim, so I suspect the damage went on first.

I already found, and printed out the Service Manual, the Owner's manual, and I also found a full parts list with exploded views, so I'm making good progress with documentation, thanks.

I replaced the Sava tires, which were apparently original with Michelin S83s, and have been fixing various issues as I find them. The rear rack bracket, for example, was preventing the seat latch from engaging. A big vise with padded jaws, and my biggest rubber coated mallet straightened that situation out nicely.

I'm interested in figuring out a way to add some aux. lights. I'm not interested in going full Quadrophenia, just a few extra lights to make me more visible. Thinking of either 1) adding a pair of moderately sized LEDs front and rear, or 2) Converting the existing Turn indicators to always-on running lights, that start blinking when the turn switch is engaged. Even better, if possible, 3) Convert the existing 7507 bulbs to dual filament, 1056 type. I wonder if anybody knows a way to convert BAU15s sockets to BA15d type?

I'll need to do a watt accounting, to make sure I'm not going to create an electrical consumption problem. I wonder how the Mod Scooter folks powered their forest of lamps, or were those just for show and not even wired up?

A Briggs & Stratton Vanguard V-Twin installed into a scooter can make for pretty impressive performance. I've seen these in a couple of old Cushmans.
But, I think you are talking about something more like this:
@johnymoore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE, Triumph Bobber Gold Line

Molto Verboso
@johnymoore avatar
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE, Triumph Bobber Gold Line
UTC quote
Welcome to the forum.

It is a bit complex I think the distinction between modern and not so modern Vespa etc so I wouldn't worry about that too much. The PX was made and sold until 2016/17 in Europe so it is not really classic but based on designs from the 70s onwards.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0559s ][ Queries: 8 (0.0274s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]