@californiacruising avatar
UTC

Addicted
2015 Sprint 150, 2018 GTS 300

Addicted
UTC quote
Finally got around to finding a convenient, local and free one stop recycler to dispose of all my spent fluids, oil, gear oil, coolant, brake fluid.
They also accept paint, electronics, etc. etc.

Not sure how well it will work for other counties and states but here is a nationwide search for hazardous waste recyclers

https://search.earth911.com/?utm_source=earth911-header

Just pulled right up and the man took my bag of poison off my hands.

Also they want fluids in original containers
Almost a years worth
Almost a years worth
@mopmop avatar
UTC

Hooked
2017 GTS300 'Beauty'

Hooked
@mopmop avatar
2017 GTS300 'Beauty'
UTC quote
In the Netherlands we have trash disposal centers for this, where you can get rid of all trash that shouldn't be in the general household dustbin.

Anything that's recycleable, wood, paper, carton, steel, car tyres, glass, electronic devices, hazardous fluids, engine oil, garden trash, garden soil, furniture, etc. is collected seperately here and gets its own route down to recycling or disposing.
Loads of containers that you can put your trash in
Loads of containers that you can put your trash in
⚠️ Last edited by Mopmop on UTC; edited 1 time
UTC

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125
UTC quote
For used oil my local motorcycle dealer will take it, they have a bio-fuel heating system for the shop.

All other hazardous waste goes to our local trash transfer station. Two times a month you can bring it there to a special collection site. It's just a guy sitting on the tailgate of a city pickup truck! For electronics we have a collection site M-F but the drop-off site is tight! You have to do a 14 point turnaround to get out of the facility, unless I take the scooter!
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
For used oil here in the county I take the stuff to Wally World. For antifreeze I have to go to the transfer station.
@cheshire avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS (sold)

Molto Verboso
@cheshire avatar
GTS (sold)
UTC quote
The municipal or county solid waste department usually has info on how residents can dispose of hazardous materials, from used motor oil to household chemicals to electronics etc. I've lived in one place where it was a separate processing center on-site at the landfill and another place where it was a collection site in town.

Barring "official" local sites, used oil, coolant, and vehicle batteries can usually be taken to auto stores such as Advance Auto or the like...at least in the southeast USA.
OP
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
We came along way here in California.

In the early 70s most dads on the block had a spot on their side yards were they buried used motor oil, (don't remember what they did with the coolant)
@mopedlar avatar
UTC

Addicted
2021 GTS 300 Super (white), 2021 GTS 300 Super (yellow), 1976 Bianchi Snark, 1980 General 5 Star, 2002 Bajaj Chetak

Addicted
@mopedlar avatar
2021 GTS 300 Super (white), 2021 GTS 300 Super (yellow), 1976 Bianchi Snark, 1980 General 5 Star, 2002 Bajaj Chetak
UTC quote
CaliforniaCruising wrote:
We came along way here in California.

In the early 70s most dads on the block had a spot on their side yards were they buried used motor oil, (don't remember what they did with the coolant)
In my neighborhood, oil was dumped down the sewer.
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
Mopedlar wrote:
In my neighborhood, oil was dumped down the sewer.
Was?
UTC

Enthusiast
LX50, P200E

Enthusiast
LX50, P200E
UTC quote
I dump it in my next door neighbor's well.
Is that bad?
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Here I can leave old oil and oil filters out in the road beside the recycling bin, ready for the weekly collection.

Other stuff has to go to the local hazardous waste.
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
crossbones wrote:
Is that bad?
Yes
@petercc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio Beverly 300 ie - 2012

Molto Verboso
@petercc avatar
UTC quote
sc00ter wrote:
For used oil my local motorcycle dealer will take it, they have a bio-fuel heating system for the shop.

All other hazardous waste goes to our local trash transfer station. Two times a month you can bring it there to a special collection site. It's just a guy sitting on the tailgate of a city pickup truck! For electronics we have a collection site M-F but the drop-off site is tight! You have to do a 14 point turnaround to get out of the facility, unless I take the scooter!
Maybe, as some here say, you have come a long way but it seems to me there is still a long way to go.

Here in Belgium it is organized in the same way as Mopmop explained for the Netherlands.

And bringing in hazardous fluids is free of charge to make sure people do not "feel the need" to dispose off somewhere in nature.

Our local disposal center (it is called here a "container park") is open every day except on sunday and monday. When you bring in hazardous fluids you are assisted where to drop the disposal.
@petercc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@petercc avatar
UTC quote
sc00ter wrote:
(...)
So your local motorcycle dealer burns used oil in a bio-fuel heating system?
That is something from the 80's or so of the previous century over here.
Then indeed, that was done, but the heating system was not named "bio-fuel".
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
PeterCC wrote:
Maybe, as some here say, you have come a long way but it seems to me there is still a long way to go.

Here in Belgium it is organized in the same way as Mopmop explained for the Netherlands.

And bringing in hazardous fluids is free of charge to make sure people do not "feel the need" to dispose off somewhere in nature.

Our local disposal center (it is called here a "container park") is open every day except on sunday and monday. When you bring in hazardous fluids you are assisted where to drop the disposal.
That's how my local dump works in the UK - it's a PITA going round all the various recycling bins. I like the way where I live in the US that anything recyclable that's non-hazardous goes in one large wheelie bin to be put out on the roadside for the weekly collection.
UTC

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125
UTC quote
The motorcycle shop has been there since the late 60's. All I know is that you can dump pretty much anything oi based in the system and it will heat the shop in the winter. The system looks old but it seems to keep on ticking. One day the shop had a french fry smell and I found out someone dumped old fryer grease in it, I think from the local mom and pop eatery down the street. Made me get a grilled cheese and onion rings on the way home!
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, some pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, some pushbikes
UTC quote
sc00ter wrote:
The motorcycle shop has been there since the late 60's. All I know is that you can dump pretty much anything oi based in the system and it will heat the shop in the winter. The system looks old but it seems to keep on ticking. One day the shop had a french fry smell and I found out someone dumped old fryer grease in it, I think from the local mom and pop eatery down the street. Made me get a grilled cheese and onion rings on the way home!
Someone was using old chip shop oil to run their car in town a while back. Smelt great!
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
0:7 And counting
UTC quote
sc00ter wrote:
The motorcycle shop has been there since the late 60's. All I know is that you can dump pretty much anything oi based in the system and it will heat the shop in the winter. The system looks old but it seems to keep on ticking.
Apparently waste oil heaters are a thing and are popular with automotive repair shops, as they have a surplus of used oil. TIL.
Quote:
Waste oil heaters are an excellent way to recycle waste oil, including vegetable oil, crankcase oil, diesel fuel and transmission fluid, using them to generate clean heat. These heaters also burn new oil, so if you run out of waste oil, you still have fuel options available. An affordable choice for many people, these waste oil heaters are popular for heating workshops and other spaces.
See: Northern Tool Waste Oil Heaters
OP
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
PeterCC wrote:

I was surprisingly impressed with the government recycling centers efficiently, it's 7 miles away, pulled right up, barely had to get off my scooter to put my bag on the cart and off I went free of charge, they even take old gasoline.

Way more efficient than the mechanical shop that only takes oil, has a 4 quart maximum, makes you wait in line with customers, fill out some paperwork, go around to the service bay area and pour it out into their recycling drum
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
crossbones wrote:
Is that bad?
Would be much more responsible to package it in a used Amazon box and leave it on your front porch. Razz emoticon At least you're recycling twice and less bad karma. Nerd emoticon

Back in the day I think my dad saved his oil from cars and tractors for the burn pile. Not the most enlightened for sure....and no doubt tires found their way there too. Gas for cleaning paintbrushes and degreasing bearings etc probably wound up on the ground. Facepalm emoticon It was a different time.

Despite modern awareness, I suspect that a lot of "country folk" cling to old traditions, particularly burning....so if it looks like it *might* burn, it goes on the pile. Facepalm emoticon I think our species is doomed

My recycling of choice is my local small auto shop. It's convenient and I just save my stuff up for when I have an oil change for the car. I even asked about tires and they took a pair of old scooter tires...for free. The motorsport place charges $3/tire. The owner's been great with me so I handed him some cash and told him to buy a 6 pack or something...
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.1616s ][ Queries: 23 (0.1222s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]