OP
UTC

Lurker
2003 Vespa ET2

Lurker
2003 Vespa ET2
UTC quote
Looking for help on this issues that has me stumped. It starts right up and runs smooth when warming up. When you head down the road it runs rough like the choke is on. I have checked and made sure the choke isnt stuck and is working fine. So I found if you touch the brake and the brake light comes on it takes right off and runs like a champ. Let off brake and runs rough. I thought it maybe a bad ground so ran a wire from the body ground right to the engine. Still the same issue. Anyone run into this or have any ideas. Thanks
@melt avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Vespa 2013 LX125, 2017 GTS300

Enthusiast
@melt avatar
Vespa 2013 LX125, 2017 GTS300
UTC quote
Wild guess here, the regulator may not be doing it's job and the voltage is too high and the brake light kills enough volts for the ignition coil to run properly again at the correct voltage.To test this I guess putting the headlight on should have the same result.
@abner_bjorn avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 GT200, 2008 Yamaha C3, 2009 BV250

Molto Verboso
@abner_bjorn avatar
2007 GT200, 2008 Yamaha C3, 2009 BV250
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
0:7 And counting
UTC quote
I wrote that wiki article, and it was the first thing I thought of when I saw the post title. That said, I don't think this is the OP's problem. I think the issue here is electrical, though I am not sure exactly how. The wild-ass guess by melt is actually pretty good, I'd check that out first.

Some vintage Vespas turn OFF the brake light by grounding to the body when the rear brake foot pedal isn't depressed -- not sure if the ET2 uses the same trick or not (probably not) but thought it was worth mentioning.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.2258s ][ Queries: 9 (0.1940s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]