@chad avatar
UTC

Olivia Newton-John
p200, vbb, gt200, px150, vnb

Olivia Newton-John
@chad avatar
UTC quote
bag one: sx appeal topcase, $135.00, available at www.scooterwest.com (on the lx accessories page)

the sx appeal top case is almost an exact replica of the pricey piaggio leather top case but at a fraction of the cost. it's made from canvas rather than leather, but it looks sharp nonetheless.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bormannspoint/166046477/in/set-72157594164070615/

although the exterior is canvas, the interior of the case contains a hard plastic liner, which is great, as it helps the case maintain its shape and keeps it from getting squashed or bent out of shape. it's pretty roomy; i can carry 2 small bags of groceries or a six packs inside it . i suppose the plastic liner would also help contain beverage spills, etc., but i haven't had the chance to experience this yet.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bormannspoint/166046868/in/set-72157594164070615/

the top case also has two small compartments on either side.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bormannspoint/166047078/in/set-72157594164070615/

one of my pet peeves about cases such as this is that it takes too long to open and close them. scooter west has solved this problem by
fitting the straps with snaps and then covering them with a faux buckle strap. they look like the real thing, but they take about a quarter as much time to open and close. great time saver.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bormannspoint/166046631/in/set-72157594164070615/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bormannspoint/166046687/in/set-72157594164070615/

another nice feature is that the sides of the case 'zipper shut.' this is great for keeping dust, rain, etc. out of the case.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bormannspoint/166046796/in/set-72157594164070615/

my only complaint with the case is the manner in which you affix it to the rear rack. the case comes with 4 nylon straps (whith little plastic clips on them) that you thread through leather grommets to affix to your rack. they work fine, but you have to be careful that you don't attach them too tightly, lest they pop open and fall off while riding. i think scooter west should sew the straps to the case, or if they are going to stick with this design, include 1 or 2 replacement straps in case you lose one. this system of affixing the case just seems too risky for me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bormannspoint/166046928/in/set-72157594164070615/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bormannspoint/166046960/in/set-72157594164070615/

all in all, the case is a great value for the money, it looks sharp, and other than the strap issue, i'd recommend it.

bag 2: sx appeal helmet hook bag, $55.00, available at www.scooterwest.com (on the lx accessories page)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bormannspoint/166046554/in/set-72157594164070615/

the sx appeal helmet hook bag is the one accessory i can't live without. it is exceptional.

the bag hooks on your vespa's front helmet hook and includes a velco strap if you want to attach it to your scooter's floorboard. i haven't used the velcro strap myself, as my et4 has the rear passenger foot peg bar and that gets in the way. i suspect the velcro works better on the lx rather than the et4, but as i don't own an lx, i can't tell for sure. on my et4, the velcro doesn't exactly line up to the floorboard, but i suspect it lines up perfectly on the lx (based on the photos displayed on scooter west's website).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bormannspoint/166047183/in/set-72157594164070615/

when i first got this bag, i was worried that the wind would be blowing it all over, but the front cowel shields it from the wind, and i've had no problems. it stays in place securely when riding, and you don't even know its there.

the bag also comes with 2 detachable straps that turn it in to a backpack. i don't use these, but they'd be great if you were a student, courier, etc.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bormannspoint/166047491/in/set-72157594164070615/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bormannspoint/166047604/in/set-72157594164070615/

the side has mesh compartments for stowing small items, and the front of the case has a small compartment for smaller items (i stow my ipod in there).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bormannspoint/166047322/in/set-72157594164070615/

great bag; for price, there's no way everyone shouldn't own it. buy it now.

bag 3: sx appeal under-the-seat bag, $59.00, available at www.scooterwest.com (on the lx accesories page)

i don't use this bag as much as i should, but it does come in handy. sized to fit perfectly under the seat of an et4 or lx, this bag sports a handle and a shoulder strap that makes it great for quick trips to the store, etc.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bormannspoint/166047677/in/set-72157594164070615/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bormannspoint/166047803/in/set-72157594164070615/

i typically store this bag, empty, under the seat of my et4. when grocery shopping, i fill up my et4's seat compartment with 2 small bags of groceries, take the sx bag out, and carry the rest home over my shoulder.

i also use this bag to carry around my laptop computer; it fits great inside, and it has a small layer of padding to protect my computer from dust, bumps, etc.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bormannspoint/166047939/in/set-72157594164070615/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bormannspoint/166048017/in/set-72157594164070615/

final thoughts

i'd have to say that scooter west has done an exceptional job in producing these 3 bags. if they fixed the strap issue with the top case, i'd say they got them perfect. the canvas material design is great, the zippers top notch, and the look and fit of the bags are superb. the fact that they fit both the et4 and lx is also a great selling point, as you can switch them between scooters at will.

if you can only afford one bag, i'd go with the helmet hook bag, as it's the one i use the most, and it's the cheapest. now, my only remaining question is: when do they come out in colors besides black????
@steve avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'06 Vespa LX150, '07 Suzuki Burgman 400, '05 Honda Metropolitan

Ossessionato
@steve avatar
UTC quote
Nice review, Chad!

How big is the helmet hook bag? What can you put in it? I carry one of my daughter's old Arizona Jeans book bags, because it was too small to carry all the crap kids carry around today. (If any of you are in school, become a chiropractor!) I use it to carry lunch, a couple of magazines and notebook, Palm, glasses, etc. The SX bag didn't look big enough to put a magazine in without rolling it up. It looks about hardback novel size. Also, does it approach the "looks a lot like a purse" appearance?

Thanks
OP
@chad avatar
UTC

Olivia Newton-John

Olivia Newton-John
@chad avatar
UTC quote
the bag is probably not as big as your arizona. it is tapered towards the top, and thus, you do have to roll magazines, notebooks, etc. to fit into it. i usually carry a cd binder, ipod, couple of books, sack lunch in a paper bag, and maybe a hat or gloves inside.

on the plus side of being small, it's very rigid. you could throw the thing down an embankment, and i don't think you'd damage anything inside it. it seems to be made to weather the elements. but, in the end, it is smaller than a backpack, so buyer beware.
@pdxvespa avatar
UTC

Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4

Modératrice
@pdxvespa avatar
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
UTC quote
Very nice job, Chad. The set looks sharp; I'd read about them, but never had this much input. The under seat bag looks slick-- too bad I keep so much stuff in there already.... and I sacrificed my hook when I went to the low profile seat.

As for color, the black's classy; looks sharp w your scoot.

Cheers,

--Deborah
@steve avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@steve avatar
UTC quote
Thanks Chad. Sounds a little too small to be a replacement for the bookbag.

I like the idea of the underseat bag, but I keep my daughter's helmet in there, so no spare room.

Thanks
@solid_steel avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa GT & Vespa LX

Addicted
@solid_steel avatar
Vespa GT & Vespa LX
UTC quote
We have the helmet hook bag on our LX.... the only pronblem ids that the Velcro strip doesn't really hold it well... you've just reminded me to buy a thicker strip... but, as you say, the bag doesn't move much anyway.
OP
@chad avatar
UTC

Olivia Newton-John

Olivia Newton-John
@chad avatar
UTC quote
personally, i think the velco is probably more for aesthetics than really anything else. i'm sure it makes the bag 'mold' into the scooter more, but i don't really think it adds any utilitarian value.
⬆️    About 1 year elapsed    ⬇️
@buglake avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2x '06 GT200 ~ '78 P200 ~ '73 Vespa 90

Ossessionato
@buglake avatar
2x '06 GT200 ~ '78 P200 ~ '73 Vespa 90
UTC quote
Update: the bags now come in beige/tan canvas, too.

I have the large top case and it's one of the best purchases we've made for our scoots. I couldn't imagine be limited to the very small hard top case now that we have these! It easily fits 2 bags of grocerys, or three large styrofoam togo containers and room on the sides for the small containers too (you know, food runs are one of the most comon uses for our Vespas - any excuse to ride!)

Anyhow - very good review. I'm lucky anough to live 6 blocks from Motorsport (www.scooterwest.com), a fact I realize every day on this forum!
UTC

Ossessionato
2003 ET4, 1972 Primavera

Ossessionato
2003 ET4, 1972 Primavera
UTC quote
Need to review the saddle bags.
@czislowski avatar
UTC

GTV 250

@czislowski avatar
GTV 250
UTC quote
Top Case - comment
Chad,
a very informative and fair review. I agree with your comments on the top case; particularly about the attachment straps. My solution was to use two additional leather straps running from the front buckles to the rack on my GTV 250. I have to admit that the leather straps are, in fact, cat collars! Cheap and they look great (plain tan leather) - and Mr Bigglesworth and Fluffy didn't mind their new-found freedom either.

For under $10 AUS I have piece of mind with my 'top cat' solution, and pet collars could substitute for the inferior straps supplied with the otherwise great top case. All of this much cheaper than the $750 AUS they are asking for genuine top cases for the GTV 250 in Australia (cases that do not suit the vintage feel of a GTV, in my view).
@czislowski avatar
UTC

GTV 250

@czislowski avatar
GTV 250
UTC quote
Correction - spelling
Sorry,
In comment above I meant 'peace of mind' and not 'piece of mind' - my front lobal medication must have been kickin' in.
@vespa_auntie avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@vespa_auntie avatar
UTC quote
where did you get that cat motorcycle helmet? pretty cute.
@nickandsusan avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
65 Sprint, 2008 150S

Ossessionato
@nickandsusan avatar
65 Sprint, 2008 150S
UTC quote
Battlescooter has a kitty size helmet, not sure if it's for sale or not..
n
⬆️    About 2 months elapsed    ⬇️
@reverenddawn avatar
UTC

2007 GTS 250 - Vintage Red

@reverenddawn avatar
2007 GTS 250 - Vintage Red
UTC quote
I've had my eye on the top case, but I can't quite get a sense for the size. Would it fit a FF helmet?
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
yes it would, and they're on sale at motorsport right now for $99! I just got mine
⬆️    About 4 months elapsed    ⬇️
@indifferent avatar
UTC

Lurker
LX 125

Lurker
@indifferent avatar
LX 125
UTC quote
Problems with Canvas Top Case
I purchased some time ago the canvas top case, the saddle bags and the under the seat bag. I was so happy to find something to replace the ugly looking plastic top case. However, I was let down by the quality.
I have been using the top case everyday for about four months. The first problem was that under Greek Summer heat (mind you I keep the vepsa at a parking lot at home) the shape deformed, probably due to the small rack. The solution was easy, I fitted a solid bottom made from a scrap piece of wood. But by doing that I transferred the deformation to the forward of the side "rims". It was not long before one of them collapsed and tear apart. I am now looking for a good repairer (the first I tried he was too much of a technocrat). I also have e-mailed www.scooterwest.com twice but they don't seem to bother answering.
So to round up, if you plan to load the top case everyday (I was loading it with my laptop and office files) take care and try modifying the case by sewing the side parts to the "in" position, so as not to be able for the load to push and split the weak cloth.

P.S1 there is also a slight discoloration of the case, but in Greek summertime sunlight is a bit... extreme.

P.S2 The case looks and is fabulous on the Vespa
Top Case
Top Case
Top Case btm mod
Top Case btm mod
⬆️    About 1 month elapsed    ⬇️
@raisin_hell avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 Daring Plum LX 150

Addicted
@raisin_hell avatar
2006 Daring Plum LX 150
UTC quote
Max from Scooterwest has mentioned that they're up to version 2 or 3 of these things and they're supposedly much improved. I just got my tan top case. I'll try to get some photos. So far, I'm just using the built-in straps and it seems to hold things fine. Other than a few books, I haven't put anything too heavy in it yet.
⬆️    About 4 months elapsed    ⬇️
@logan avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Vespa GTV

Enthusiast
@logan avatar
Vespa GTV
⬆️    About 5 months elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

Lurker
Honda C70

Lurker
Honda C70
UTC quote
Very upset with my SX Appeal Top Case (TAN)
I'm afraid I'm am very disappointed with my SX Appeal Top Case (the tan colour). I tried VERY VERY hard to love this case, but it's been one problem after another that makes me an very unsatisfied customer. I'm not a product flamer, but I respect the opinions shared on this group and feel it a service to express mine.

First off, let me start off with saying that I LOVE the look of the top case. It gets high marks from me in that department. I have a Honda C70, and it matches the overall look of the bike perfectly and I get nothing but positive comments from those who see it.

Before I really start to rant, it must be known that I have had the top case for LESS THAN TWO MONTHS, making the online transaction on June 27th. Account for how long it takes to ship and todays date of August 19th.

My first problem was that my case was shipped to me without a rain cover. I too me two attempts in order to get a reply. They did however ship me a replacement within a couple weeks of their reply. When I got it, I found the rain cover an incredibly tight fit. I do realize that it follows the contours of the bag snuggly, but on my second attempt to get it on, the plastic clasp snapped off the the rubber band.

Regardless of not having a rain cover for a about a month, I do always cover my bike in an all-weather cover when it's parked at home. Regardless, the top metal rivets (6 in total) are rusting.

Another problem is, with the case on my rear rack which is about 7 inches wide, the sides that overhang are starting to sag. I know another customer review I've read speaks of this problem as well.

Under the main flap, there is a second flap that zippers shut. The stitching that holds the zipper to the flap has unwoven itself, and tears more more and more each time I open or close it. Now I have a zipped that is attached to nothing.

The most disappointing of all is that that colour is fading. FADING! I live in Toronto, Canada, not some tropical country. My bike is out in the sun during most work days, but covered on weekends. Again, I've had this case for less than 2 months. It is plainly obvious that it is fading because the fabric under the handle that is shaded from the sun is most certainly more "tan" than the rest. It's starting to get a little pinkish in fact.

All in all, I really wanted to fall in love with this bag and I most certainly did when I first got it. The design is fabulous, but the craftsmanship and materials used are simply not worth the amount I paid for. It really saddens me to think of the condition this bag will be in in just another month time. I feel really let down and at the end of the day, ripped off.
@cynner avatar
UTC

Addicted
'06 LX150

Addicted
@cynner avatar
'06 LX150
UTC quote
How do these bags compare with the similar (but lower-priced) Prima luggage from Scooterworks?
@smrf avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Smrfmobile was a 2007 sky blue Piaggio MP3 250ie w/Tow-Pac, Inc. Instatrike B kit

Molto Verboso
@smrf avatar
Smrfmobile was a 2007 sky blue Piaggio MP3 250ie w/Tow-Pac, Inc. Instatrike B kit
UTC quote
For those with ripped up bags, have either of you contacted SX Appeal directly..they have a one year warranty and on their site they state for you to contact them "If you ever have a problem with any of our accessories please let us know email info@sxappeal.com . Most of our accessories come with a one year warranty, but we always want to hear from our users for better or worst (hopefully for better), it's the only way we can keep improving and moving forward."

My Pak Rest bag is in the mail and I should get it tomorrow. So I hope to hear some reviews of their service if/when either of you contact them about your torn up bags.
⬆️    About 1 year elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

Enthusiast
Vespa et2

Enthusiast
Vespa et2
UTC quote
I wire tied the bag to the rear carrier. It doesnt move at all.
@witch avatar
UTC

Moderatrice Strega

Moderatrice Strega
@witch avatar
UTC quote
I got a tan topcase bag about a month ago. Although I haven't had it long, I really like it so far. It's bigger than my little chrome basket, and even though it doesn't lock, it keeps things more secure. It's got the "out of sight, out of mind" bit going for it, and I don't have to futz with a bungee net every time I take off for fear of stuff flying out. I always carry extra zip ties and a clipper with me, so keeping it on the rack or carrying it with me is no big deal either way. The color goes well with all the natural colored bits on the GTV. It seems to have some kind of rain-x type coating on it. I rode through a sprinkle, and notice the water just beaded up and rolled right off it. Usefull if you can't pull over to put the cover on immediately. And the biggest suprize was that it actually fits my helmet! It gets a lot of compliments.

Only minor issue is that some of the stiffening plastic on one end is slightly warped, so a corner of it won't stay tucked in, no matter what. I just pulled both end extensions out, and it seems to stay put, and looks a lot better. Doesn't droop like I expected it to (at least not yet!).

Once I have the time and a little extra cash at the same time, I intend to get the PakRest to go with it for longer trips. I like the look of it, and it's got a lower center of gravity than the tailpack I used to have.
UTC

UTC
This post was not quite
What we were hoping to see
Try again, perhaps?
⬆️    About 10 years elapsed    ⬇️
@giovacchini avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2020 Vespa 300GTS

Enthusiast
@giovacchini avatar
2020 Vespa 300GTS
UTC quote
reverend.dawn wrote:
I've had my eye on the top case, but I can't quite get a sense for the size. Would it fit a FF helmet?
It will fit a standard size Cairnes New Yorker helmet brother!
It will also fit a full face motorcycle helmet lol
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@masala avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@masala avatar
UTC quote
giovacchini wrote:
reverend.dawn wrote:
It will fit a standard size Cairnes New Yorker helmet brother!
It will also fit a full face motorcycle helmet lol
You answered a 13-year-old post, my friend. I'm not sure if that member is even around these parts anymore!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0538s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0265s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]